It has been a while, since I have updated my blog. I will try and be more regular.
Recently, we had a change of storage from EMC Symmetrix DMX to EMC Symmetrix VMAX Migrating. The VM migration was easy with the help of storage vMotion but the hard part was migrating the MSCS based VMs.
We have bunch of MSCS based luns in our environment.
The Storage guy started the copy of RDM Luns from old storage (DMX) to VMAX. Ocne that was completed we powered down all the MSCS based VMs.
Here are the steps that we followed
1) Took the backup of data and VM
2) Took a print screen of all the nic cards settings
3) Remove the existing pointer from the vmfs partiton, which points to the RDM lun on both the VMs
4) Did a storage vmotion of both the VMs to a lun on the new storage – This lun will be exclusively for these VMs.
5) Created a folder under the VMAX Lun, where you will keep all your pointers to the RDM luns
6) use vmkfstools -z example – vmkfstools -r '/vmfs/devices/disks/vmha1:2:100:0' rdmname.vmdk – (The Z option will make Physical compatability mode)
7) Use the above option for all the RDM and Quorum disks.
8)From the Vi Client, used the option to add a existing disk and pointed it the vmdk created in stepo 6
9) Start the VM and there it will ask you a question – select LSIlogic as your controller card and not Buslogic
10) Your Cluster is backonline
I got few points from the following post.
Here the author used -r option in vmkfstools but he should have used vmkfstools -z option to make it in a physical compatability mode.(rdmpassthru)